Are International Prepaid Cards a Great Idea? Read This and Find Out!
Let’s face it, the advantages of using international prepaid cards abroad are quite enticing. For starters, using international prepaid cards are safer than using cash, they’re easy to obtain, and they are very convenient and easy to use.
As if not enough, some prepaid cards can also help you save a significant amount given they are preloaded with the local currency prior to leaving the country. In addition, since prepaid cards don’t come with credit capability, they’re very easy to obtain.
The Consummate Travel Companion
For many travellers nowadays, prepaid cards have not only become their plastic card of choice, it has also become a staple for them. In fact, many consider their international prepaid cards to be the ultimate travelling companion and ally.
Aside from all the exciting advantages mentioned in the early part of this article, prepaid card users also incur a very minimal amount in terms of charges and fees when they use their cards abroad. In other words, you don’t have to spend a fortune on currency conversions as well as foreign transaction fees.
Yet another reason that has endeared prepaid cards to many is they make it very easy for cardholders to adhere to the budget they have set. Since both transactions and ATM withdrawals are limited by the balance that’s available on the card, overspending can be avoided very effectively.
The safety and security prepaid cards offer is without doubt one of the main reasons people never leave home without taking their prepaid cards with them when they travel. When you use an international prepaid card, you can say goodbye to all the hassles and stress of carrying a huge amount of cash with you anywhere you go.
Also, since you are not carrying a huge amount of cash with you as you travel around, you effectively avoid the risk of having your cash stolen or misplaced. Losing your money is the last thing you want especially if you’re travelling abroad.
Why Take Your Prepaid Card with You
If you have not taken your international prepaid card with you outside the country, below are some of the practical reasons why you should:
- Most international prepaid cards allow cardholders to load as many as 16 various currencies on their international prepaid cards.
- In some cases, international prepaid cardholders enjoy exciting perks when using their cards. Some issuers of prepaid cards also award reward points for some transactions done using the card.
- When used abroad, there is a huge possibility cardholders will also get attractive discounts each time they perform pay for products and services using their international prepaid cards.
- In the event that the international prepaid card is lost or stolen, cardholders have the option to get an add-on card.
- If you wish to check the available balance on your card, you have the option to do balance inquiries at ATMs where your card is affiliated. However, more often than not, international prepaid cardholders are notified through text each time they do a transaction using their card. Typically, the available balance on the care will also be included in the notification.
Best Practices When Using Your Prepaid Card
To ensure a seamless and convenient usage, keep the following basics in mind when using your international prepaid card outside the country:
- When you use your international prepaid card, users can save a good amount of money when it comes to currency conversion fees.
- Apart from the privilege to load a foreign currency on the card, international prepaid cardholders also have the freedom to do currency conversions when the rates are favourable.
- In the event that your balance is depleted while overseas, you have the option to load money on your card through a secure online portal.